Friday 21 October 2016

3D Print Test: Mayan Pyramid

I was visiting a friend the other day who has a small 3D printer.

Anyone who knows me will know that I spend an inordinate amount of time looking through forums and websites always looking for "bits" or terrain odds and ends that could be useful for something now or in 10 years in the future "when I get around to it".

One of the things I've been thinking about is jungle / Lustrian style terrain for Warmaster, that I could probably also use for Epic in future.  That means Mayan or Aztec style pyramids or ruins.  It's not a popular setting for wargaming so not many people make them, and when they do, they're for Pulp adventure settings in the 15mm to 28mm scales.

The thing is, with a 3D printer, you can /tell/ it what scale to print in.

We went on "Thingiverse", which is a website where people share their basic 3D print files, and looked for pyramids. 

This fellow was a 6cm temple that took about a 80 minutes to print.  I knew it would be too small but I wanted to see how it would turn out.  It is 6cm along it's sides. A 10cmx10cm base one would have have taken 4 hours or so but of course would be proportionally much bigger.

It has me thinking - that I should get into Google Sketchup, and see if I can make something more fitting to the cartoonier 10mm scale of Warmaster and make a base that I could print different sizes from.




No comments:

Post a Comment